As a child I remember my mom soaking chickpeas for what seemed like days on end. Today we have the convenience of tinned chickpeas that just require you to find a can opener et voila! This recipe is one of my mom's that I've adapted slightly to make it into more of a meal.
You could also omit the sausages to make this a hearty side dish.
- 2 x tinned chickpeas
- 2 x tinned chopped tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 1 x large onion, diced
- 2 x medium carrots, diced
- 2 x medium potatoes, diced
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 80g x chorizo sliced
- 1 x pack pork sausages
- 1 x tbsp olive oil
- 1 x tbsp tomato paste
- Chilli flakes
- Salt & pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish and fry the sausages until they are browned but not cooked through. Remove, cut into bite sized pieces and put to one side.
- In the same pot fry the sliced chorizo until it starts releasing its smoky, red oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and chickpeas and mix well.
- Then add the tinned tomato, tomato paste, water and as much chilli flakes as you can handle. Season with salt and pepper and a small pinch of sugar to reduce the sour tomato taste.
- Add the sausages and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat for 45 minutes or until all the veg is soft. The dish should be quite saucy, so add more water if it appears too dry.
- Finely chop the parsley and sprinkle over the top to serve.